Democrats recognize the role of the arts toward making a community attractive to its citizens, tourists, labor force, and business partners and we are committed to investing in the arts to continue our state’s rich cultural heritage.
- The images that originate within indigenous New Mexico cultures are the intellectual property of that culture and should be protected; and
- The arts contribute to community building, and to the emotional, physical, and intellectual health of individuals in our society in significant and important ways.
- Support the arts through government funding, grants, marketing assistance, training, and increased market access;
- Support programs and legislation that provide for the health, housing and well-being of New Mexico’s artists;
- Increase awareness of entrepreneurial services and support, such as Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs), within the arts community;
- Restore public funding for the National Endowment for the Arts and for the National Endowment for the Humanities;
- Ensure that arts and music are included within all public-school curricula across New Mexico;
- Work to connect local art communities with the New Mexico film industry;
- Ensure that grant opportunities are fairly distributed among organizations and individual emerging artists in New Mexico. Globally brand New Mexico as a destination for domestic and international tourism; and
- Celebrate and support our State’s majority multi-cultural identity, beautiful terrain and wildlife, public lands and monuments, and opportunities for adventure.