New Mexico – Shortly after the U.S. Senate voted on the GOP tax proposal that would ultimately give huge tax breaks to the country’s top earners while increasing taxes for working families, the Democratic Party of New Mexico released the following statement thanking U.S. Senators Tom Udall and Martin Heinrich for defending New Mexico families and voting against the GOP Tax Scam.
“It’s no question that we all want a simpler tax code, but the Republicans in Congress have time and again put their political ideology ahead of our families. Their proposal would cost New Mexico millions of dollars and increase taxes for New Mexicans across the state. We’re grateful to have Senators Tom Udall and Martin Heinrich fighting for a fair tax code that would help New Mexico families get ahead,” said Richard Ellenberg, Chair of the Democratic Party of New Mexico.
Last week, the only Republican in New Mexico’s congressional delegation Steve Pearce in favor of the GOP tax scam that would give his well-connected friends a tax break while forcing New Mexicans to foot the bill.
Specifically, the GOP Tax Scam gives multi-million dollar tax giveaways to the wealthiest and corporate America, while destroying key tax benefits for New Mexico families including:
- Dismantling the State and Local Tax Deduction – imposing an unfair double tax on New Mexico families, driving down home values, and endangering local governments’ ability to fund law enforcement, schools, and health services.
- Eliminating Student Loan Interest Deduction & Lifetime Learning Credits – destroying a key deduction for young graduates and workers getting the job training they need to succeed in the 21st century economy.
- Eliminating Deduction for Classroom Supplies – forcing teachers who provide students with books, pens, and pencils to pay from their pocket without relief.
- Eliminating Medical Expense Deduction – destroying a key deduction claimed by nearly 9 million American households, which helps families with children with disabilities, long-term care needs, a need for expensive fertility treatments, and many others.
- Imposing New Limit on Mortgage Interest Deduction – assaulting the dream of home ownership for many New Mexicans.