We believe all qualified persons who wish to serve our nation are free to do so without discrimination. Our country has a sacred, moral responsibility to honor all of our veterans and wounded warriors. The party that passed the G.I. Bill of Rights will always work to protect the benefits our veterans and their families have earned in service to our nation.
- War is the last resort. The only reason we will ever put anyone through war is because we have exhausted all other options and our safety is in peril;
- Our country has a moral responsibility to support all our veterans because they have put their lives on the line to defend us;
- Any person, regardless of immigration status, who served and was honorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces must receive citizenship upon completion of service;
- We are proud of the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and we commit ourselves to ensuring fair treatment for LGBTQ veterans, including by proactively reviewing and upgrading discharge records for veterans who were discharged because of their sexual orientation;
- Our military is strongest when people of all races, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities are honored for their service to our country;
- The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) must be fully resourced so that every veteran gets the timely care that he or she has earned and deserves, including those suffering from sexual assault, mental illness and other injuries or ailments;
- The VA should take responsibility to identify all unserved and underserved veterans including those that are homeless;
- We reject attempts to privatize the VA; and
- We are committed to addressing the scourge of military sexual assault and will increase efforts to prevent sexual assault and rape, and aggressively investigate and prosecute allegations.
- Support a smart, reasonable, and predictable defense budget that meets the strategic challenges we face and seek an economy that does not require resources from hostile regions;
- Support full federal funding for comprehensive veteran-centric systems to fulfill our commitment to all veterans by meeting their needs upon discharge, with an emphasis on suicide prevention, employment, housing, family support, reintegration, comprehensive healthcare with timely processing of claims and appeals, and legal assistance;
- Provide support to care for our military family members, especially for the spouses, partners, and children who have to rebuild their lives after the loss of a loved one or life-altering injury or disability;
- Push for more educational benefits, job training, and protect and preserve the post-9/11 GI Bill for future generations;
- Ensure that reservists and Guard members are treated fairly when it comes to employment, health, education benefits, deployment, and reintegration; and
- Support closing loopholes in the for-profit college industry that exploits veterans, and support strengthening programs that help veterans choose the best educational programs possible.