Democrats are committed to ensuring full equality for women in education, employment, healthcare, and in all other spheres of society. We recognize that violence against women and girls is an epidemic and stand firm in the need for a societal shift and prosecution of perpetrators. Democrats are pro-choice.
- Support ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution guaranteeing equal rights for all citizens regardless of gender;
- Fight to secure equal pay for women to ensure women’s economic independence and power, which will benefit all women and their families, particularly women of color who are disproportionately impacted by discriminatory pay practices, and against other factors that contribute to the wage gap;
- Fight to end gender discrimination in all areas by combatting biases across economic, educational, political, and social life that hold women and girls back and limit their opportunities — tackling specific challenges facing women of color;
- Call for our political leaders to set the precedent to address any form of sexual harassment and sexual violence wherever it occurs; and to end non-disclosure agreements that silence women and others who have suffered sexual harassment and violence. We will promote civility and speak out against sexism and other forms of intolerance that have entered our political discourse;
- Demand funding to Planned Parenthood health centers, which provide critical health services to millions of people;
- Repeal the Hyde Amendment which impedes a woman’s access to abortion;
- Ensure all women have full and equal access, within reasonable proximity, to comprehensive healthcare and insurance, including reproductive healthcare services, cancer prevention, screening, and treatment;
- Strongly and unequivocally support a woman’s right to choose to have a child or end a pregnancy. This includes ensuring access to safe abortion services. It also includes ensuring access to services that promote a safe and healthy pregnancy and childbirth. We will also work to provide services during pregnancy and after the birth of a child, including paid maternity and family leave, affordable childcare, adoption and social support services, and protections for women against pregnancy discrimination;
- End the scourge of violence against women and girls wherever it occurs — in our homes, streets, schools, military installations, or elsewhere. We condemn and fight against human trafficking in all its forms. We believe FDR’s vision of Freedom from Fear should apply equally to women so that women can live full lives without fear of gender-based violence; and
- Support the Violence Against Women Act to provide law enforcement with the tools it needs to combat this problem. We commit to ending the backlog of processing rape kits.