Democrats will remove obstacles for workers, public and private, to exercise their right to organize and join unions. We recognize how unions contribute to building a stronger middle class, as well as their critical role in fighting for living wages, fair work rules and hiring practices, and safe working conditions.
- Democrats oppose the outsourcing of American jobs;
- We support the rights of workers to organize and to bargain collectively for a safe and fair working environment; and
- The government should bargain in good faith at all times.
- Support fair labor practices;
- Support project labor agreements;
- Support fair and equitable Earned Sick Leave policies for all workers in New Mexico;
- Hire local union shops and businesses that uphold the rights and dignity of workers;
- Expose and oppose “right-to-work” laws which are anti-union, limit the rights and benefits, and suppress the wages of workers;
- Eliminate unfair hiring and firing practices;
- Support retirement plans for all without diminishing benefits and increasing employee contributions to benefits;
- Support equal pay for all within same-leveled positions based on education and seniority; and
- Encourage all employers to recognize workers needs for rest periods and we call upon NM Legislators to enact law requiring rest periods for employees.