A free and open media with diverse ownership and multiple opposing views from independent journalists is essential to a functional democracy because voters must be informed to make sound voting decisions.
- Public figures in the media should treat all women with respect and dignity. We call for eliminating the objectification of women and men in press, radio, film, TV, and news as a means of acquiring status or employment; and
- Mergers of large media companies have the potential to stifle information by limiting the number of voices, opinions, and facts that inform our world view.
- Fight for Net Neutrality so that all internet content is equally accessible without favoring or blocking particular content. The internet must remain open and uncensored;
- Commit to giving candidates free and equal media time and coverage during elections;
- Support a NM film industry that creates movies, TV shows, and commercials that have people of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, and gender identities, as reflected in the diverse demographics of our State;
- Dismantle media companies that are monopolies in their geographic areas;
- Guarantee continued support and funding for NPR, PBS and other public media;
- Protect journalists and media organizations from intimidation and resist efforts to marginalize and undermine objective media sources;
- Encourage accurate portrayals of people of color in the media that exacerbate the systemic racism that people of color experience collectively;
- Support programs that educate people to interpret and critique the news they receive; and
- Ensure that social media providers provide robust protection of private data.