Democrats believe everyone has a basic right to be free from coercion and violence, including harm imposed by corporate degradation of water, air, and soil. We will support a multi-faceted strategy to public safety including law enforcement, intervention and treatment, and universal background checks for firearm purchases.
- We must expand and strengthen background checks for firearm purchases and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws;
- Crimes of sexual violence against women and trans women deserve full and timely investigation, due process, and serious attention of the legal system; and
- Tribes must be given timely and expeditious access to justice at the Federal level.
- Support the principles and best practices of the Community Policing model;
- Oppose the sale of assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines by reinstating and strengthening the assault weapons ban;
- Support increased training for de-escalation procedures for law enforcement including the use of behavioral health teams and oppose the use of excessive force by law enforcement;
- Support demilitarization of law enforcement;
- Support efforts for the Center for Disease Control to study the effects of gun violence as a public health issue;
- Support comprehensive services for survivors of violence and increase prevention efforts in our communities and on our campuses;
- Ensure that all necessary measures are taken to eradicate family violence in our state;
- Increase sexual violence prevention education programs;
- Support fully funding programs that provide safe houses and counseling;
- Strengthen the laws that prevent illegal seizure of cash and property from New Mexicans without first bringing criminal charges against them;
- Support strong civilian community oversight of law enforcement agencies to improve transparency in the hiring and firing of officers, and make recommendations for disciplinary action, budgets, and policies;
- Repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) that revokes dangerous legal immunity protections for firearm manufacturers and sellers;
- Support the enactment and enforcement of aggressive laws against illegal gun trafficking;
- Recognize that nuclear material poses inherent risks to safety and encourage stronger safety-focused oversight and accountability; and
- Urge our NM Congressional delegates and other public officials to:
- Demand continued public access to nuclear safety reports;
- Support transparent and accountable oversight of New Mexico nuclear facilities by the U.S. Department of Energy and New Mexico regulators;
- Challenge the unilateral authority of the President to use nuclear weapons;
- Support (1) the continued reduction of nuclear warheads; (2) continued research on nuclear warheads’ safety, security, and reliability; (3) our National Laboratories, hoping future research will be repurposed toward sustainability and other more humane projects.